I am German, I live in Germany and I obviously speak German. In the German language there are some weird phrases we use that make no sense if you translate them into the English language word by word. Here are some examples:
- If somebody really, really annoyes you, you can say “Du gehst mir tierisch auf den Keks”. If you translate this in English word by word it would be “you walk me animally on the cookie”
- If you can’t believe something a way to express that is saying “Ich glaub ich spinne” in German. Translated that would be “I think I spider”.
- If something, like a race, is getting serious you say “Jetz geht es um die Wurst” in German. That would be “Now it goes around the sausage” in English
- If you don’t understand what somebody want to tell you you can say “Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof”, “All I understand is train station”
- If you want to tell someone you won’t do something they want you to do you can say “Den Teufel werde ich tun“, translated to English that would be “The devil will I do”
German is a weird language. Which of the five is your favorite? Tell me in the comments.
Lots of Love
Just A Blank Space