A couple of weeks ago I told you about my favorite journaling essentials and one of them was my journal bag.
Since I take my bullet journal and my art journal to school with me every day I needed something to protect them from getting dirty, just like everything else I put in my school bag. This is what my journal bag is for and I love it. But, a couple of days ago one of my classmates thought it would be funny to write his name on it and now I can’t get it off. This is why I have decided to make a new one and to show you how you can make one too.
Here is what you need:
- Fabric (I used one of my dad’s old button-downs)
- Something to sew (I used a sewing machine but you can also sew it by hand or glue it together)
- (some ribbon)
How to make your own journal bag:
- Take the fabric and place your journal on top. Trace around your journal to get an idea of how big your bag is going to be. Leave some space between your journal on the line. Since I want my bag to be able to hold two journals I left some more space. Do the same thing a second time. In the end, you should have two rectangles next to each other.
- Cut out the shape you just drew. It doesn’t have to be exact. You can still cut off some fabric later
- To get a smooth edge on the opening fold both of the shorter edges over and sew the folded pieces together
- The next thing you want to do is to fold the fabric in half and to stick the open edges on both sides together using pins. IMPORTANT: The inside of your future bag should be on the outside.
- Sew along the pins and remove them when done
- Cut off dispensable fabric
- Take two strips of your fabric or some ribbon to create two handles. Both strips should be the same size. Sew them on.
- Flip your bag over so the outside of your bag now actually is on the outside
- Enjoy your new journal bag
I already liked the fabric the way it was but of course, you can decorate your bag however you want.
I hope you can follow these steps. If not feel free to ask. If you do make a journal bag yourself I would love to see a picture of it.
Lots of Love
Just A Blank Space